The Films Appeal Committee (FAC) consists of members of the public that handle appeals over ratings of films, videos and games.
The committee provides an avenue for film distributors and filmmakers to challenge the decision of the Board of Film Censors.
Under the Films Act, the FAC has powers to decide on:
- the approval for exhibition of any film which is the subject of appeal;
- the excision or retention of any part of any such film;
- the classification of any film.
The decision of the committee is final.
The FAC comprises 15 members who are chosen for their interest in films and commitment to public service. They represent a cross-section of society and age groups.
The current committee, appointed for a term of three years, is chaired by Tan Boon Huat. Tan held the post of Chief Executive Director of the People’s Association until his retirement on 1 June 2010. He is currently serving as Chairman of the Singapore Sports Council Appeals Committee, as well as Chairman of the Appeals Board of the Council for Estate Agents. He is also an Independent Director of Keppel Transport and Telecommunications Ltd.
Films Appeal Committee (FAC)
1 July 2013 to 30 June 2016 (Updated May 2015)
Tan Boon Huat
Singapore Administrative Service (Retired)
- Prof. Walter Woon - David Marshall Professor of Law, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Ang Bee Lian - Director, Social Welfare, Ministry of Social and Family Development
- Manogaran s/o Suppiah - Principal, Serangoon Junior College
- Esther Thien Huey Lin - Publishing Manager, Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery
- Joni Ong - Managing Director, ThYnk Consulting
- Dr. Mohamad Shamsuri Juhari - Associate Lecturer, UniSIM
- Chandra Mohan s/o K Nair - Advocate & Solicitor, Tan Rajah & Cheah
- Lim Huan Chiang - Vice President, Cultural Industry Promotion, Chinese Newspapers Division, Singapore Press Holdings
- Lim Hong Peng - Principal, Xinmin Secondary School
- Raymond Lye Hoong Yip - Managing Partner, Union Law LLP
- Mark Kwan - Head Writer, Freeflow Productions Pte Ltd
- Siti Haslinda Putri Harun - Director, The Kids Dentist
- Dr. Chin Kwee Nyet - Senior Lecturer, Centre for Language Studies, National University of Singapore
- Wong Lin Tam - Managing Director / Media Consultant, Wang Media Consulting Pte Ltd
- Downloadable PDF of the Media Development Authority's Films Appeal Committee:.